Activities under project components:
- Component: Introducing beta-carotene rich sweet potato varieties and developing production technologies.
- Fifteen new CIP sweetpotato clones and three CIP potato clones have been introduced from CIP’s Lima headquarters (HQ) into Tajikistan
- Result: Two CIP clones (105085.2 and 1) have been preselected after being evaluated. Both are high-yielding clones based on results of first-year evaluation trials
- IBPPG multiplied 15 new sweetpotato varieties, transplanted in beds under greenhouse condition and produced vines for farmers.
- Result: In summary, on the basis of yield data from laboratory and open field, the following CIP clones are best in both conditions: 106090.1, 106603.1, and 440136
- Three sweetpotato nurseries have been established in Khatlon Province at farmers’ farms
- Result: A total of 1,200 roots of sweetpotato harvested at farmers’ farms were kept under controlled conditions at a storage facility with CoolBot system. Roots will be replanted in open field in spring 2018